[buug] Thanks, Installing FBSD

Patrick Soltani PSoltani at iitcorporation.com
Mon Dec 15 11:19:24 PST 2003

Hi john,

Ok, you have 2 video cards one built in the other maybe PCI or AGP. In any event, your best course of trouble shooting is to disable the builtin video card via BIOS.  If the machine is booting and showing you the screen after disabling the builtin video, then we can do the following:
- edit the /etc/rc.conf file, by issuing "vi /etc/rc.conf".  No quotes tho, and add the following 2 lines:
moused_enable="NO"
moused_type="NO"

OR

if you are not familiar with navigating vi, then do the following at the bash or sh prompt:

echo 'moused_enable="NO"' >> /etc/rc.conf
echo 'moused_type="NO"' >> /etc/rc.conf

which will append 2 lines to your /etc/rc.conf file.  The purpose is to disable your moused from starting up and see if the xfree can use it's own driver and mouse support.

Reboot the machine to do the following command as root:
ps -waxu | grep -i moused

If no moused process running then start KDE.
I assume you already have a file in your home directory called .xinitrc and the content of the file should be:
"exec startkde" with no quote.

Again you can create the file like this:
echo 'exec startkde' > /home/psoltani/.xinitrc

Replace the /home/psoltani/ with the name of the user you are trying to run the kde on.

lastly, here is my setting for the mouse:

Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"     "Auto"
    Option      "Device"       "/dev/psm0"
    Option      "Buttons"      "5"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

I have an Intellimouse, optical Microsoft mouse and works great with wheel scrolling , etc.
The file you need to compare the above with is  /etc/XF86Config.
In your  /etc/XF86Config you must have some setting like the above.

Regards,
Patrick Soltani.