[buug] Contract work

Claude Rubinson cmsclaud at arches.uga.edu
Fri Feb 7 19:17:25 PST 2003

Following up on last night's discussion, I've decided to take the new
job.  But, I'm in discussions with my current company to finish up my
database design work on a contract basis.  They want me to come up
with a schedule of how long it take to complete the project (I'd be
working from home during the evenings) and propose a fee.

Working full time, I believe that it would take about 3 weeks to
finish up the design stage.  But I'm trying to figure out how to
translate that into "working from home during the evening" time.

And I'm also wondering about how much to ask for.  I have no idea what
the market rate is for database design.  Or should it be based off of
what I was making while working there?

Finally, does anyone have any tips or suggestions of things that
should be included in the contract?  Terms of delivery of payment?
(We're talking about a flat fee for the whole thing.)  Anything else
that I'm not thinking about?

Thanks,

Claude