[buug] iTunes Music Store: m4p audio files?

Nick Jennings nkj at iaminsane.com
Fri Jun 6 17:14:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 04:41:50PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Claude Rubinson (cmsclaud at uga.edu):
>
> > That's precisely the point.  Apple's trying a compromise.  You
> > can still move your media around but they're trying to make it
> > inconvenient enough that it discourages casual copying (such
> > as what you're trying to do).
>
> The iTunes client software refuses to convert a downloaded
> MPEG-4/ACC-encoded .m4p file to any other format.

 Acutally this is not true, it converts download iTunes music to CD
 Audio just fine.

> User-encoded (as
> opposed to downloaded) iTunes files are basically the same encoding but
> treated less stringently and given filename extension .m4a.

 You mean ripped from CD right? This is also incorrect, iTunes encodes
 ripped music ifrom CD as mp3's.

> > Can't say that I agree with them but I'm certainly sympathetic.
>
> I'd be sympathetic if users were fully informed about what they were
> buying into at the time of download.

 Yeah, I wasn't informed of this. I am happy with the result though.
 It's much better than most solutions out there, because I actually have
 them on my hard drive, and can burn audio CD's.

- Nick