[buug] tired of redhat, and i want something new to play with

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Sun May 4 21:07:12 PDT 2003

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Rick Moen wrote:

> In addition to comments I posted to Nick, a moment ago, if you want to
> explore on the BSD side instead, I'd consider NetBSD the most stripped
> down of that family -- though FreeBSD otherwise better meets my needs.

odd you should mention that, i've actually not used linux since about 96
or 97 in favour of BSDs. Before that, i was pretty much a RedHat user for
most things.

In general, FreeBSD does what it says it'll do. It's my default
workstation OS, and by far the one i'm most familiar with. But, it's
growing in ugly horrible ways, that make it less than ideal for something
like a firewall, or a server.

> I'd surmise that NetBSD's relative sparseness is a side-effect of its
> extremely portable design, for whatever that's worth.

NetBSDs real drawback is the installer. it takes a long while to get used
to.

Over NetBSD, i'd suggest OpenBSD. That's my own bias though.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits