[buug] hardware load balancing vs software

johnd john at jjdev.com
Fri Aug 27 16:58:48 PDT 2004

at my company we have a 'web-switch'

for one example...traffic comes in and it balances bewteen two
apache servers

each apache load balances across 4 tomcat servers...

Wouldn't it be better to just have the webswitch do all the load balancing?

either by going straight to the tomcats (we proxy %100 of the traffic)

or if we need apache, to have 8 instances of apache..or a multiple of that
running virtual hosts?

maybe two apache servers for redundancy each one running 4 virt hosts

basically what I'm curious about is if we have a hardware loadbalancer
do we need to do more software loadbalancing?

--
John de la Garza
Computer Support