[buug] loadbalancing

johnd john at jjdev.com
Mon Jul 19 11:17:46 PDT 2004

At my company we have a device we call a web-switch.  It basically load
balances and knows to stop sending traffic to servers when they go down.

We currently looking to get a new device like this.  Somebody here is
recommending a product called BigIP by F5.  Or one of Ciscos CSS devices.

I'm just curious as to the feasibility (in your guys' opinions) of setting
up a Linux box (or cluster) to do this kind of stuff.

Would you just go with a dedicated device or set your own up with a Linux
box?

I've always been one to throw Linux solutions around as if it was some
kind of silver bullet, but I don't want to get stuck in that mind set.

--
Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.

http://www.livingwithoutmicrosoft.org/