[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

john grayarea at reddagger.org
Mon Mar 8 10:46:18 PST 2004

>$100. just one tape.. a DLT tape is now about $60. the drive,
>though, will push around $3000. more than the computer, monitor,
>hard drive, and most associated periferals together. in fact,
>probably more than 3 times as much.

For home machines, I use a hard drive in a removable IDE cartridge. Yes,
I have to reboot, but for my home machines it isn't a big issue. I have
found this to be a useful configuration. On my main machine, I actually
have my primary IDE drive on a cartridge as well, since that allows me
to easily perform fatal experiments on my setup or play with other
distros, and not worry too much about the results.

-j
John Withers