[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

James Howard buug at multivax.net
Mon Mar 8 15:55:36 PST 2004

Jon McClintock> Ah, the wonders of free software: All installed
Jon McClintock> programs are thus easily replaced. :)

f.johan.beisser> not all people exclusively use free software.

This isn't an open source issue.

I think the point here is that there is a distinction amongst: (1) the
static and replaceable OS and application installation packages (open
source or proprietary -- it shouldn't matter so long as you have the media
or access to those packages via network), (2) the irreplaceable, but
reconstructable configuration data for those packages (ie. /etc,
~/.foo_user), and (3) the irreplaceable data and content we produce and
collect with those applications (ie. /home, /var).

Personally, I consider the latter two worthy of backup, while I don't
bother with non-unique software installs and patches which are either
available to me on pressed CD media or over the net. Further, I'm not sure
how reliable a snapshot of an application's files would prove in
reconstructing the application after recovery of those files.

f.johan.beisser> show me an open source replacement for 3d Studio
f.johan.beisser> Max.

Again, this isn't an open source issue. If you have a license with
Autodesk for their product, you would likely have the install media. If
your install media were lost, I imagine they could provide you with a
replacement at a nominal charge.