[buug] Backups [Was: Trapped in Upgrade Hell]

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Mon Mar 8 16:45:50 PST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, James Howard wrote:

> This isn't an open source issue.

agreed. but, the "ease of replacement" goes beyond just simple media.
ideally you'd have a simple method to replace it. the simpler, the better.

as a user, i find it frustrating to be forced in to rebuilding a machine
from scratch. maybe it's a result of my generation (MTV has corrupted us
for instant gratification), but really, who wants to deal with switching
out media and reinstalling every single piece of software installed on any
machine?

1 major backup, restore from incrementals. it's simpler, faster, and
easier to do than deal with installing (or worse, rebuilding) lost
packages. in a corparate environment, the "gradual rebuild" of a system is
not really acceptable.

> Again, this isn't an open source issue. If you have a license with
> Autodesk for their product, you would likely have the install media. If
> your install media were lost, I imagine they could provide you with a
> replacement at a nominal charge.

many companies (Autodesk excluded, by the way) will want full price for
the replacement of lost media. i know, this is bullshit, but they do.

ANYHOW, this thread has degenerated well past what it started as. i'll
stop here.

	The other day I asked former Yankees pitcher Jim Bouton
        what he thought of our great victory over Iraq, and he
        said, "Mohammed Ali versus Mr. Rogers."
		-- kurt vonnegut, 5.9.03