[buug] Re: DNS Server and Apache on same machine

Todd Meister todd at bitslinger.net
Fri Oct 22 11:20:38 PDT 2004

Jarell Douville writes:

>> What is a URL box?
>
>I meant the address bar (i think it's called, where
>you type the url in your browser's window.)
>When I try to go to ns1.mpflea.com to it says it could
>not be found. Even if ns{1,2}.simplihosting.com are
>authoritative for mpflea.com, shouldn't my nameserver
>(ns1.mpflea.com) respond somehow?

You can answer that better than I.  What would cause the resolver used by
your browser to query ns1.mpflea.com?  That depends on what's in the
resolv.conf on the machine from which you're running your web browser, and
maybe on what's in the resolv.conf on ns1.mpflea.com.

>I also don't really want my nameserver to be
>authoritative for mpflea.com right now, but instead
>for mpflea.net. Is this possible?

DNS for mpflea.net is currently set to:
mpflea.net      nameserver = dns2.web.com.
mpflea.net      nameserver = dns1.web.com.

I don't know how your provider (web.com) works, but maybe you could set up
your server to be authoritative, and the web.com nameservers can slave
off your box.  You'd have three NS records - dns2.web.com, dns1.web.com,
and ns1.mpflea.net.