[buug] cups_help

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Thu Jan 6 08:48:52 PST 2005

Karshi Hasanov said:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a new FreeBSD user. Since I was using Gentoo(Linux) last two years,
> I had no difficulty to install and run most of FreeBSD ports.
> I have few books on FreeBSD, but none of them talks about CUPS. The last
> book I bought was " The complete FreeBSD (4th Edition)", and I found the
> book pretty much
> useless for applications I need to use.
> I appeal to your group for a help. I wanna setup my local printer
> (/dev/ltp0) using CUPS. I've tried to follow
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/cups.php, but no success.

Many of us would be happy to help.  First off though, you might want to add:

 - what version of CUPS are you using?
 - what version of FreeBSD are you using (uname -a)
 - what kind of printer are you using?
 - what is the error message you see?

That's a start.  Some more detail and info would be useful.

Also, have you tried checking any of the error messages you receive
against www.google.com/bsd?  The questions at freebsd.org mailing list has a
lot of answers and you can often google to find the same problems others
have had.  (This worked well for me when installing moregroupware
recently.)

brian

--
Brian Sobolak