[buug] OT: Rational Clear Case?

Chris Waters xtifr at debian.org
Wed Mar 30 15:05:05 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:43:19PM -0600, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> Has anybody here used IBM (nee Rational) ClearCase product?  I'm
> interested in personal opinions about it from actual users.

> (Yes, I have read the Linuxmafia FAQ)

I have, although only with HPUX, not with Linux.  And not for several
years (around the time that Pure/Atria was merging with Rational).
Overall, I thought it was a decent system, albeit a fairly complex one
that required a fair amount of administration to bring up and to keep
up.  It worked best with a fairly conservative, traditional
development model and had some performance issues.  There were some
interesting features, and there were a few warts.  Overall, a mixed
bag, but I certainly didn't hate it, and wouldn't flee in terror at
the thought of using it again, at least not in a large organization
that could afford to administer it properly.  The graphical project
overview browser was pretty nice (tho slow).

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr at debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single