[buug] Thanks buug.org. Who is buug.org's web&list master...? Hosting?

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 12:10:19 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Jon McClintock <jammer at weak.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:23:47AM -0700, Aaron Porter wrote:
>>       You could try contacting the other local LUGs (SVLUG, BALUG,
>> EBLUG, LUGOD, BUUG) some of which run their own servers and might be
>> willing to help you with hosting and administration. Since you're meeting
>> at Cal, you could find out who is responsible for callug.cs.berkeley.edu
>> and try to revive it. Or you could use any of the hundreds of web hosting
>> companies out there that offer < $10/mo packages (some even offer full
>> UML/Xen/KVM installs at that price).
>
> Say, can you recommend a good VPS provider? I'm thinking of scrapping my
> DSL line for cable, which means I'd have to find somewhere else to host
> weak.org...

I have been reasonably pleased with mine (TekTonic,
http://www.tektonic.net).  They're cheap, and they offer good upgrade
routes for bandwidth, etc.  I pay $15/month for a fairly decent setup.

I would warn you, however, they do not allow the following:

o BitTorrent trackers
o IRC connections of any kind (not even a CIA bot!  That one ticked me off....)
o Illegal activity of any kind <=== shouldn't be a problem for you I don't think

Alternatively, if you don't want a VPS, there's ServerPronto, which
gives a cheap dedicated server without the crippling TOS:

http://www.serverpronto.com/

Their cheapest is $30/month, and they don't block IRC or (legal)
torrents, though they have explicitly disallowed just about every kind
of illegal activity imaginable.

When it comes to hosting, the golden rule is that you get EXACTLY what
you pay for.  Try to save a buck and the service won't be as good.  A
lot of services that offer cheaper bandwidth or more disk space or
more RAM or /whatever/ are hosted out of datacenters that have
reliability that makes me think they're in the middle of some kind of
perpetual earthquake.  I've had my site go down due to routers
catching fire, DNS servers gone bad, overheated switches only sending
out half the packets they're supposed to, and even had it down for 12
hours when they moved datacenters on me.  Life has been really good at
Tektonic (those horrors were all at DreamHost) but you get my point:
you get /exactly/ what you pay for, no more, and a lot of the time
it's less.

Beware.... !

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495