[buug] ITP update: other group invitations, speakers

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Fri May 30 02:43:03 PDT 2008

===== PROGRESS:
>From May 20, when I posted the first suggestion for the ITP & request
for input, to today May 30, there has been much progress.

3.75 is the current probabilistic attendance at the first meeting, from
just the BUUG list members. Also, PR has indicated he'd try to
participate from Long Beach.

Michael Paoli has told me he is interested in attending, pending other
scheduling uncertainties.  I suggested he RSVP % to the list.

===== OTHER GROUP INVITATIONS
So, given all the progress, I am about to start publicizing this to
other BSD/GNU/Linux/FOSS type groups.

The first will be to Bay Area Debian (BAD), for which I am going to
schedule a meeting for them coincident with the ITP.  I'll post a copy
of that email here shortly.

===== SPEAKERS:
In addition to the speaker topics I suggested in my
Berkeley Installfest, Talks, Potluck- 1) Structure
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-May/003035.html

"For the 1st meeting (tentatively June 7 Sat) some talk possibilities
are:
1) Difference between Ubuntu8.4 & Debian
2) OLPC - Sugar OS project
3) Google Summer of Code - how you can help
4) PGP & personal keysigning
5) Mozilla 3 - the beta's features & how to help
  - the "show me the code" session?
6) Python08 conference highlights
7) LinuxPicnic (in SiValley) preparations/planning/how to help

What other topics are hot now & would be good to have talks on?
What would you like to hear a talk on?
Would you like to _give_ a talk? What subject?"

I've also found:
Lindependence 2008 (Felton, CA, USA
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-May/003041.html
which sounds interesting & timely
"Lindependence 2008 introduces GNU/Linux to the town of Felton,
California
   -- about 6,000 people who live at the foot of the San Lorenzo Valley
   in
   Santa Cruz County, California. The plan behind Lindependence 2008
   involves
   assisting those wishing to participate to go "proprietary free" for
   an
   entire week -- starting on Independence Day 2008 and running to July
   11,
   2008 -- using their choice of distro and FOSS programs."

So, again I ask for your talk suggestions. What would like to hear a
talk on? Please email the buug list with your suggestions.

Shortly, I hope to make 3 posts, one each with more info about each of
the 1) Installfest, 2) Talks, 3) Potluck.

A short preview is that for the TALKS,
THE WAY TALKS WILL WORK:
BEFORE THE MEETING:
ATTENDEES will message the list with talk subjects they'd like to hear.
POTENTIAL SPEAKERS will message the list with talk subjects they are
willing to give talks on.

AT THE MEETING: There will be a timeslot sign up sheet, and anyone who
can get one or more attendees to be an audience member for their talk
can sign up for a time slot. At the time slot, attendees are free to
attend the talks.  Ie, it's very open & free form. Ultimately, I'd hope
the ITP would have from 4-8 talks, of lengths from 15m to 1 hr.  Please
monitor the buug list for SPEAKERS/TALKS to monitor how progress is
going.

=====
What thoughts / progress_notes do you have?

  john_re at fastmail.us

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html