[buug] WordPress's Dirty Little Secret

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 16 16:23:53 PDT 2009

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (pewterbot9 at gmail.com):

> And to go via the server method, seems to me a waste of resources, when my
> blog/vlog demands are rather simple.

To you, a waste.  To me, a way of life.  (Current server is a
eight-year-old VA Linux Systems model 2230 acquired for zero dollars,
running on the house aDSL.)

Among the advantages:  I don't have to deal with The Man's policies,
because I _am_ The Man.

Among the disadvantages:  I have to deal with The Man's policies anyway,
because I _am_ The Man.

It's a koan.  ;->

> So, it's back to my tried but true tblog....

"Services" (other people's) are uninteresting.  (My opinion; yours for a
small fee and waiver of reverse-engineering rights.)

If I wanted to have a blog (which I very much do not), I might look
first at running Joey Hess's ikiwiki, which does blog stuff well.

Do I even want to know what a "tblog" is?  Another damned hosted
service, right?

> Remember Dejanews (bought out by Google years ago)? I like to "harvest"
> threads of interest to whatever topic I'm presenting on my web site or blog.
> But their web format offered no option to download an entire thread...which
> was so easily done in the old days of text-based newsreaders.

tin still works.  ;->  (slrn works too, if you refuse to use God's Own
Newsreader.  And there are rumours of GNUS being used among the the
emacs tribe.)