[buug] WordPress's Dirty Little Secret

Pewter Bot pewterbot9 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 00:36:12 PDT 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> posted:

{{ To you, a waste.  To me, a way of life.  (Current server is a
eight-year-old VA Linux Systems model 2230 acquired for zero dollars,
running on the house aDSL.) }}

Nice! I meant "a waste" in the sense of taking gluttonous advantage of
valuable resources by free services that already are generous. In my
case, that would be Online Policy Group, which provides free web
hosting to non-profits and low-income activists like myself. In no way
do I perceive *your* fantistic ventures with computers a waste...in
fact, I'm envious!

I do not (nor cannot) afford the resources that would allow me to have
my own 24/7 server. But there are so many free services out there, I
find it a challenging game to seek out the best ones.

{{ Among the advantages:  I don't have to deal with The Man's policies,
because I _am_ The Man. }}

Sure, that's good. But working within my limited resources gives me an
edge on learning little "tricks" that I wouldn't learn otherwise. Such
as relying on public wifi to perform online chores that are much
simpler on your own dedicated line. Plus, I am not technically
oriented as you are...my focus w/computers is the social impact and
the politics. So in a way, my limitations actually keep me in touch
with such issues...as opposed to working in my own separate island of
wire, chips and screens. I am also in a better position to assist
newbies weaning themselves off Windoze, who would never devote
themselves to under-the-hood intrigue as you do so well!

{{ It's a koan.  ;-> }}

I like.

{{ "Services" (other people's) are uninteresting.  (My opinion; yours for a
small fee and waiver of reverse-engineering rights.) }}

No argument here. But my goal is not to become a wizard, instead it's
to become a savvy advocate and guide for the average PC/Internet
user...helping him/her in selecting the best deals around, and
preventing rip-offs. (As well as to further my activist and fiction
writing.) Also, to show then how utterly captivating and brilliant is
the world of geeks...how they can be an important part of this
community by switching to Linux and joining a user group.

{{ If I wanted to have a blog (which I very much do not), I might look
first at running Joey Hess's ikiwiki, which does blog stuff well. }}

Now you've given me something new to play with...synaptics is
downloading it right now! Logged onto http://ikiwiki.info/, will
enjoying perusing the site. Thanks!

{{ Do I even want to know what a "tblog" is?  Another damned hosted
service, right? }}

Yes sir!  :D  It has a clean, easy-to-customize design. I am often
complemented on what a "smart" blog I have. But I can do that on any
server, including my own web page. The only real reason I have for
using a blog service, is for the built-in traffic generator. Others
with common interests are more likely to read one's blog, than if it
were free floating in cyberspace.

{{ tin still works.  ;->  (slrn works too, if you refuse to use God's Own
Newsreader.  And there are rumours of GNUS being used among the the
emacs tribe.) }}

Understood. Let me clarify: many interesting forums are now on web
pages, not in usenet. And I was simply agreeing w/you about how
burdensome their format is...trying to cull important articles and
threads from them is a nightmare. Why on earth they don't have the
good sense to provide a link whereby you can download the entire
thread in a text base, is beyond me!

--
Ezekiel J. Krahlin
"A government is only as good as its operating system."