[buug] Disabling atheros wifi in Eeebuntu

Pewter Bot pewterbot9 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 16:01:10 PDT 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> posted:

{{ Disabling the internal wifi interface on any Linux system should be easy, }}

Well, it should...and I have no idea why disabling wlan via BIOS no
longer works. It did in Eeebuntu 2.0, but not now in 3.0!

{{ as root, do this shell command:

echo 'blacklist a5k' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-local

Reboot, and voila, that stupid atheros interface is as good as dead. }}

Yes, it works, thanks! Just FYI, the atheros wifi label is "ath5k".
Lsmod revealed that tidbit, 'cause that's what I suspected was the
problem when my first attempt at editing  blacklist-local didn't do a
derned thing. So the command should read:

echo 'blacklist ath5k' >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-local

So now, I'm back to being able to bypass the internal wifi, whenever
it's better to use my USB wireless. Yay!

At least, until the next subtle change or glitch crops up in some
future Linux, Ubuntu, or Eeebuntu update. One of the great things
about Linux (and by extension, its myriad distros) is that I can
resolve any problem in a very short time...unlike that *other*
operating system.

Whose name eludes me. Ooops, gotta cut this missive short, as I'm in
the middle of washing my

dirty windoze.