[buug] El Blog del Narco

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 17 17:37:15 PDT 2010

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (ezekielk at goct.net):

> I understand all your points Rick, however I still have to conclude
> that you'll have much better odds with web based forums, if you choose
> wisely.

Especially if you want _really bad_ technical advice.  Quod erat
demonstrandum.

Every time I research, say, public information about Linux drivers for a
wireless chipset or a printer, I dig up really bad answers on
ubuntuforums.org during my searches.  It's like a bad vaudeville joke
that keeps repeating.

http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2010-April/005462.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2008-March/003955.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2010q1/007643.html

Representative quotation from the last of those:

  By the way, I notice that people giving advice about drivers on distro
  Web forums, especially the Ubuntu ones, have a lamentable tendency to
  recommend proprietary-software solutions without bothering to mention
  the restricted licensing -- and often without taking the time to mention
  open-source alternatives.

  Please notice that I always try to mention _all_ solutions including the
  proprietary ones, and to be clear about which are open source and which
  aren't.

> I give you Wordpress....

Eew.  No thanks.