[buug] login [not] a daemon? ... & CDs

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Dec 2 17:58:03 PST 2010

> From: "Ian Zimmerman" <itz at buug.org>
> Subject: Re: [buug] hello
> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 08:36:32 -0800

> Karen> That is my new project for awhile then.  login [pam] -- I fail.
> Karen> I don't know why there has to be a daemon for login.
>
> Not a daemon.  This is the same process that becomes your shell after
> you log in.

Well, ... depends a bit how one logs in, ... may or may not *directly* be
a daemon, ... but there would at least be inetd or xinetd or init somewhere
behind it ... it nothing else.  Has to be something that forks/execs that
shell or login/shell/process.

... 1 hr. to BUUG :-) ... oh, and I'll be bringing some CDs (Ubuntu & others).