[buug] Seek the Wisdom Of Our Elder Geeks

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 19 11:16:51 PDT 2010

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (ezekielk at goct.net):

> I'd say that's pretty renegade. Perhaps you would prefer a word or
> term that is not quite so controversial?

I'd say you're using 'renegade' as a bit of a weasel word.  And also,
you're hunting for data very selectively:

Richard urges _everyone_ to adopt free software.  If you send him to
talk to the Texas Board of Education, he would go urge them to adopt
free software.  If you were to dig up and resurrect Generalissimo
Francisco Franco and his entire military government, and Richard
heard about it, Richard would fly out and urge them to adopt free
software.

Richard tends to limit his advocacy of free software to days of the week
ending in 'y', and so far addresses only collections of featherless
bipeds, but I'm sure he'd be willing to be flexible about that, if any
disembodied brains from the planet Eddore happened by.

> Anywayz, there is the whole history of hackers, their challenges to
> the status quo, and participation in shaking down button-down
> corporate policy.

Says you.  I think it's pretty clear you're projecting in a pretty
fanciful fashion.

> Nonetheless, allow me some time to pick over my essay with a fine
> tooth comb, and make whatever corrections you feel may be needed,
> for the sake of accuracy.

Well, good luck, but your essay is mistaken at its core.