[buug] hello

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Nov 30 08:53:35 PST 2010

>>>>> "Karen" == Karen Hogoboom <khogoboom at gmail.com> writes:

Karen> You raise a good question. I had seen, I think on Wiki, that
Karen> some find the term X Windows offensive. I did mean the computer
Karen> terminal windowing system developed at Xerox Parc. However, now
Karen> that you mention it, for some reason, I never remember whether XX
Karen> is what refers to women's chromosomes or mens. So you may be
Karen> 100% correct in asking this question.

The correct name is actualy "X Window" (without the "s").  Perhaps that
was the offensive part.

Rick> You can compare the typical appearance of various window managers
Rick> and several 'desktop environments' via screenshots and information
Rick> links at Matt Chapman's site, http://xwinman.org/ . Hope that
Rick> helps!

There is also The Comprehensive List of Window Managers for Unix:

http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

--
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org>
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD