[buug] hello

Karen Hogoboom khogoboom at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 02:03:54 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Karen Hogoboom (khogoboom at gmail.com):
>
> > Geekfactorwise, "I *am* technical!", but, how can I say this, I was
> raised
>  backwards.
>
> Backwards can get you to useful places almost as well as forwards.  ;->

Thank you.

Berkeleyfactorwise, I think the term my mother would have used to describe
how she set up my life was a proof of the tabula rasa concept, but I forgot
what I read about tabula rasa in high school.  I was raised entirely with
nature, only a tiny bit of nurture.  B. 1964, I should mention.

> What drives me to you is that I finally wiped my XP machine and put
FreeBSD
> on it and realized I need to understand the history of X better.

Just to be clear, when you say 'understand the history of X better', are
> you referring to the X11 graphics system, commonly known as X?  It might
> be just me, but I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're driving at,
> and so just want to make sure.
>
> You raise a good question.  I had seen, I think on Wiki, that some find the
term X Windows offensive.  I did mean the computer terminal windowing system
developed at Xerox Parc.  However, now that you mention it, for some reason,
I never remember whether XX is what refers to women's chromosomes or mens.
So you may be 100% correct in asking this question.

> > I have been, by my own bad choices, fate and bad breeding, working in
> > the Microsoft world for most of my career.  Do I want gnome or kde
> > when I don't even want to *emulate* MS on this machine?
>
> Both the GNOME and KDE 'desktop environments' do have a tendency, liked
> by some and disliked by others, of borrowing from the aesthetics of
> popular proprietary OSes.  However, and I'm sure you anticipated this
> answer, what you logically want depends on what's important to you.

I decided I wanted to put FreeBSD on my Dell to overwrite Windows XP because
I was craving a black screen with white letters.

> Please be aware that you can elect to run no 'desktop environment'
> whatsoever, instead sticking to the old-school model of just having a
> regular X11 window manager (but not running the X session manager and
> 'desktop' services characteristic of the four most common desktop
> environments: GNOME, KDE, XFCE4, LXDE).

I did not choose to install the X session manager so far.  I do have in my
apartment one Linux notebook, one FreeBSD PC-style computer, one Compaq (HP)
laptop with whatever my step-sister who works at Microsoft allowed to ship,
and one Compaq PC-style computer with Windows 98.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/karenlhogoboom
http://www.facebook.com/klhogoboom
http://boomtownbits.livejournal.com