[buug] hello

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 30 11:55:28 PST 2010

Quoting Karen Hogoboom (khogoboom at gmail.com):

> I decided I wanted to put FreeBSD on my Dell to overwrite Windows XP because
> I was craving a black screen with white letters.

You _can_ configure FreeBSD not launch X11 by default, and end its
startup process at a text-mode login screen.[1]  Thereafter, users who've
logged in can either remain at a non-graphical virtual console prompt,
or can run the script 'startx' to launch X11 with the user's choice of
window manager.

It's handy to have X11 at one's disposal, and running on the local
device, even if you use X11 almost exclusively to provide xterms and a
Web browser.

[1] This is of course the normal configuration for most server-role machines.