Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 19 17:09:15 PDT 2011

Hi Jim, good point. I don't know if Larry has subscribed to the
BUUG.org mail list or how much time he has to contribute. Perhaps I
should have mentioned fedoraproject.org [1] and olpcsf.org in my
previous email. [2] There are many resources, people and groups that
might play a role but we have to start somewhere. While other groups
may be able to provide resources to help, unfortunately the Felton LUG
http://feltonlug.sturdywebs.com and http://olpcsf.org are further away
and I suspect have a statistically lower chance [3] of finding people
who are most likely willing and able to help a Berkeley user group on
a regular basis.

I suspect the interests of the Cal group's regulars will dictate the
direction it takes. Of course all the resources that can help
reestablish itself should be brought to (the golden) bear, the
traditional locus of activity of BSD [4] and birth place of many open
source projects including (but not limited to) CentOS, GIMP and
others.

Regards,

Grant

[1] Larry and I have had discussions about this. I think we agree that
Ubuntu with it's community groups, state by state local community
structure, focus on the desktop experience and existing user
population (especially in Berkeley from what I can tell) act as
"training wheels" into the Linux world for newcomers to begin using
Linux. No other distribution has been as successful reaching out to
"simple end users" as the Ubuntu community project. As a Fedora
Ambassador I try to talk about Fedora with people who might be ready,
willing and able to try Fedora however I have learned a few things. In
my experience the number of people with that level of interest is
relatively small and quite often those people already know about
Fedora and/or many other distributions, some of which I have had
exposure to myself.

[2] The OLPC project has put over two million Fedora laptops in kids
hands all over the world and the SF conference in October had people
attend from all over the world.

[3] I also factored in my knowledge of the active members of the
original groups I mentioned.

[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution