[buug] Berkeley LUG relationship (was: Reviving CalLUG)

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 19 21:07:25 PDT 2011

Just a quick clarification.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Paul Ivanov <pi at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> so if at most we're allowed to call the group "Linux User Group
> at/of Berkeley" - there's already a BerkeleyLUG - it meets on
> Sundays and has no affiliation with the university.

That statement actually isn't quite true. The
berkeleylug.com/berkeleylug.org founder Jack Deslippe is a grad
student in Physics. I am not sure if we have ever filed any paperwork
with the campus.  We have had several current students and alumni
attend meetings. Last year we scheduled a table to hand out Linux CDs
on Sproul Plaza but this turned out to be the same day student
protests were taking place over fee hikes so we canceled our event.
Several other student outreach plans have been discussed including an
informal, monthly co-sponsored Ubuntu Hour [1] at Caffe Strada
(College @ Bancroft) that only needs a regular day of the month and
time to begin meeting.

Cheers,

Grant