[buug] named pipes (wee bit of history)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun May 29 10:56:02 PDT 2011

> From: "Karen Hogoboom" <khogoboom at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [buug] Fun (and practical) uses of named pipes (example)
> Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 08:20:58 -0700

> It is interesting that you refer to Named Pipes as a unix concept.  I
> thought that Microsoft had invented the name "Named Pipes" to try to adapt
> to having its software work on a network of heterogenous computers.

As far as I'm aware, Unix's use of "named pipes" quite predates
Microsoft's use of "Named Pipes" - which for Microsoft Windows came many
years later and refers to something quite different.  Microsoft,
however, quite certainly did also have named pipes in Xenix -
Microsoft's port of Unix, so, name "named pipes" was probably brought to
the attention of Microsoft from Unix, long before Microsoft called
something else quite different in Microsoft Windows "Named Pipes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeline_(Unix)#History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix