[buug] named pipes (wee bit of history)

Karen Hogoboom khogoboom at gmail.com
Sun May 29 15:30:31 PDT 2011

Hi Michael,

I have better things to do than spend all my time following these
references.  If you want to pay me to read those to validate your knowledge,
I would be happy to.

When I worked at Sybase, we only had to use Named Pipes with our joint
implementation of SQL Server that worked on machines running variations of
Microsoft Windows (DOS).  We didn't need any winsock stack of libraries
(DLLs) to adapt to the fact that our unix implementations already worked
over TCP/IP.

Karen

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:10 AM, <jaimef at mauthesis.com> wrote:

On Sun, 29 May 2011, Michael Paoli wrote:

>  Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 10:56:02 -0700
>> From: Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>
>> To: Karen Hogoboom <khogoboom at gmail.com>
>> Cc: Berkeley Unix User Group <buug at weak.org>
>> Subject: Re: [buug] named pipes (wee bit of history)
>>

>>  From: "Karen Hogoboom" <khogoboom at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [buug] Fun (and practical) uses of named pipes (example)
>>> Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 08:20:58 -0700
>>>

>>  It is interesting that you refer to Named Pipes as a unix concept.  I
>>> thought that Microsoft had invented the name "Named Pipes" to try to
>>> adapt
>>> to having its software work on a network of heterogenous computers.
>>>

>> As far as I'm aware, Unix's use of "named pipes" quite predates
>> Microsoft's use of "Named Pipes" - which for Microsoft Windows came many
>> years later and refers to something quite different.  Microsoft,
>> however, quite certainly did also have named pipes in Xenix -
>> Microsoft's port of Unix, so, name "named pipes" was probably brought to
>> the attention of Microsoft from Unix, long before Microsoft called
>> something else quite different in Microsoft Windows "Named Pipes".
>>
> And we took sendfile from them :P
>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeline_(Unix)#History
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix