[buug] OT: Blog compiler that uses relative paths

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Wed Jan 15 21:22:47 PST 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 22:26:57 -0800
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> This means I cannot test the look of the generated site by browsing it
> locally, before I upload it to the webserver.  Which kind of defeats
> the point of a static generator.

Following up to myself ...

I now see that I have stepped into the midst of a religious war:

http://yoast.com/relative-urls-issues/

So let me spell out the reasons why I still want relative links.

1. I don't run any indexer or spider myself, and I don't care about
other people's spiders.  In fact, I prefer my blog to not be indexed.

2. My dev/test environment is offline, I look at it using file:/// URLs
and when I'm happy with it I rsync it to the server.  Or at least that's
how I _want_ it to work, those stupid absolute links stop me.

3. The blog site is _only_ accessible with https, so there is no danger
of mixing up protocols.

I think this addresses all the points of the webby know-it-alls.  Or is
there another reason to avoid relative links?