[buug] Test!

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sun Aug 7 10:29:38 PDT 2016

On 2016-08-07 09:04 -0700, Michael Paoli wrote:

> > This posting is different.  Will it matter to the list manager?
>
> Hmmm, not sure - perhaps/probably not an issue.  I received it okay.

The point of the test was that I stopped passing -f to sendmail, which I
expected to result in the envelope sender being different from the
subscribed address.  And indeed that's what happened when I later did
the same on a different mailing list (and it worked there, too).  I am
unsure if I should do the test on all of my ~30 subscribed lists.

In this case, though, I forgot that the list serving host and the
submission host were the same :-) [1] so there was no SMTP hop at this
stage, and no opportunity for the envelope to be rewritten.

> Is the base64 encoding really needed though?  Wouldn't
> plain text ASCII, or quoted printable generally suffice, and
> make for easier backward compatibility with anyone using some
> old/ancient email client?

I believe I am innocent here.  The local copy saved by mutt is indeed
plain ASCII, unencoded.  It must be the list server doing that, possibly
only in cases of local submission.

[1] acedia.primate.net