[buug] Free beer, functional, non-Google webmail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Aug 7 18:45:20 PDT 2016

Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz at buug.org):

> Sure, I do already.  Have done so for a long time.

I was just saying that because others seemed to think you were looking
to outsource to a webmail service.

> Trouble is, I don't want to run a webserver.

Webmail without a Web server?  Ah, OK, you want a single piece of
software that is an integrated ('standalone') webmail+httpd thing?

How 'bout you configure nginx or Lighttpd to offer only webmail serviced
by RoundCube or Prayer or whatever you prefer, and _pretend_ that it
arrived integrated?  ;->

> prayer almost fits the bill because it is standalone, but still requires
> an IMAP server while now I get by nicely with just syncing the store and
> reading mail locally.

I see that it's in C and functions as an HTTP to IMAP gateway.  Need to
add that to the Webmail page in my knowledgebase.  Thanks.

Your choices may be further constrained by your preference in file
format for local mail on your MTA, i.e., Maildir vs mbox.

OpenWebmail (http://openwebmail.org/) can read mbox files directly
without needing an IMAPd.  It does need an httpd, though, and is written
in Perl.