[buug] Seriously - Is Android considered Unix?

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Tue Jan 5 21:26:24 PST 2016

On 2016-01-05 19:30 -0800, Michael Paoli wrote:

> But as for Unix - Andriod would I think most certainly qualify as
> Unix-like.  However, as for being certified or certifiably Unix, I'm
> guessing no on both counts.  Probably no on certified, as I doubt
> there's sufficient interest for it to be certified Unix, and secondly,
> it may not qualify on account of quite possibly being sufficiently
> stripped of stuff not generally relevant to/for Android, that it may
> fail to meet the specifications for Unix.

Thanks for the thorough answer :-)

On all my "real" computers, running wheezy, I have set up a VPN tunnel
to my Linode server over which DNS resolution is done.  I am looking for
a way to do the same on my tablet, where I just replaced stock Android
with CyanogenMod.

Here are some things I tried:

I installed the openvpn app from f-droid [1].  It seems to be able to do
what I want (and more), but only when talking to the full (proprietary)
openvpn server.  It can talk to the open "community" server too, but
then it cannot change routing or DNS settings.

I also tried the connectbot-vx ssh app [2].  Here I had the strangest
experience.  After creating a new keypair I tried connecting to the
Linode.  It failed (actually it hang), so I looked at the log on the
Linode; and I found an attempted connection from an address entirely
unknown and unrelated to mine, as if the app wasn't connecting directly
but through some proxy.  (The reason for the failure was that I recently
restricted the key exchange algo to just curve25519; but you understand
I didn't pursue this avenue further.)

Right now I'm thinking the only way may be IPsec, for which there seems
to be built-in support in CM.  But that would be entirely new to me, so
I'm running around on lists trying to avoid it.

[1]
https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/de.blinkt.openvpn

[2]
https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/sk.vx.connectbot