[buug] ZeroShell adventure

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Wed Jun 1 11:06:34 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-31 22:04 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> In case it's useful:
> http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/openrc-conversion.html
>
> I expect the same situation will apply with Debian 9 "Stretch", Debian
> 10 "Buster", and later.  I.e., no need to abandon Debian merely to avoid
> the systemd / udev / Freedesktop.org plague unless you're seriously
> addicted to GNOME (/MATE/Cinnamon), Xfce4, KDE, Razor-qt, or
> NetworkManager and refuse to go cold-turkey.

I now see that plague as only the last symptom of the more general
problem that I'm stuck with whatever dependencies the Debian maintainer
chooses to foist on me.  The number of packages that I have to
self-maintain has grown slowly but steadily to about 20 now.

> > http://freedns.afraid.org/
>
> Why outsource?  Given a static IP, it's not at all difficult to run NSD
> on it.  http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html#nsd

Very interesting, thanks!  I'll come back after reading that in full.