[buug] ZeroShell adventure

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 1 12:46:22 PDT 2016

Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz at buug.org):

> I now see that plague as only the last symptom of the more general
> problem that I'm stuck with whatever dependencies the Debian
> maintainer chooses to foist on me.  The number of packages that I have
> to self-maintain has grown slowly but steadily to about 20 now.

That is indeed a compelling use-case for a build-from-source
distribution like Gentoo.  You might also find of interest:  Manjaro
OpenRC, Arch Linux (likewise has a variant with OpenRC rather than
systemd), Funtoo (ditto).

Also, the packages at Devuan's repo are (by design) Debian-compatible
and (by philosophy) far less dependency-ridden -- though possibly not
for the packages of greatest interest to you.

[ http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html#nsd ]

> Very interesting, thanks!  I'll come back after reading that in full.

If interested, I can pass along SVLUG's notes to it sysadmins about
administration of NSD 3.x.

NSD 4.x changes things yet again, I hear.
http://lists.svlug.org/archives/volunteers/2016q2/004756.html