[buug] Gentoo and NSD [Was: ZeroShell adventure]

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Wed Jun 29 13:02:05 PDT 2016

On 2016-06-01 12:46 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> > I now see that plague as only the last symptom of the more general
> > problem that I'm stuck with whatever dependencies the Debian
> > maintainer chooses to foist on me.  The number of packages that I have
> > to self-maintain has grown slowly but steadily to about 20 now.
>
> That is indeed a compelling use-case for a build-from-source
> distribution like Gentoo.

And now I'm mostly done with the migration [1].

> [ http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html#nsd ]

This was a misunderstanding.  I don't rely on freedns to run a
nameserver for me; I do that anyway, as part of my quixotic fight
against spam.  One must run a self hosted nameserver for DNS based
blacklists to be effective, a shared nameserver soon goes over quota and
is blocked from further queries.

What I get from freedns is a domain name that is part of the global
namespace, without paying any real money, and more importantly without
having to use the Web 2.0 interfaces of providers such Dyn or NoIP, or
the ones that cannot even be named (oops, a pun slipped in).

[1]

http://primate.net/~itz/blog/gentoo-switch-on-pcs-complete.html