[buug] Secure Shell Success?

Zeke Krahlin zk_lists at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 01:55:42 PDT 2000

Well, I finally *can connect to weak.org, via Secure-Shell in Linux (I had
been using a simple secure-shell utility in Windoze). This is after
installing the necessary "openssl"/"openssh" libraries. However, I can
only do this as super-user, not as regular user. Is this how it's supposed
to work? Since "ssh" is "secure", is logging on as root as safe as user?

As super-user, I access weak.org like so:

     ssh weak.org -l ezekielk

But when I perform the same command as a plain old user, I get the
following retort:

     You don't exist, go away!

Now, that response is probably from my own system, due to having secured
it a la Chris Stoddard's "Building a Secure Gateway, part II
<http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/stoddard.html>". If I must run ssh as
user, I'll have to "reverse engineer" my secured gateway, to find out
which switch is denying me ssh-access. Perhaps I need to recreate
"hosts.allow" and add "weak.org" to it? (Per Stoddard's instructions, I
deleted "hosts.allow", and in "hosts.deny" I added the line "ALL: ALL".)

I could go back and un-edit all the security changes I made...but I'm
first checking if perhaps the solution to my present problem is obvious
and simple to those in the know. TIA.

=====
Zeke Krahlin
zk_lists at yahoo.com