[buug] This spam sucks.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue May 16 16:34:39 PDT 2000

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (ezekielk at netzero.net):

> We might go upstream, and suggest these listing services assume some
> responsibility in blocking spam.

Difficult.  The idea of LUG lists on the Web is to expose them to human
eyes that need contact information.  Unfortunately, I no of no way to
do literally that without also exposing them to Web-crawling
address-harvesting robots used by spam firms (and by PR agencies who
target LUGs as part of their general dumbass approach to publicity).

Technically speaking, it's easy enough for you-all (BUUG) to provide
a contact _mechanism_ on your own Web pages, that doesn't expose e-mail
addresses (using CGI/forms techniques), but any address that's publicly
_listed_ will inevitably get harvested and abused.

--
Cheers,               It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Rick Moen          It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,