[buug] KDE on a remote PC?

Skip Evans evans at ncseweb.org
Wed Jul 24 22:18:48 PDT 2002

Okay, once I get settled here I'll stop asking so many questions. Ian said he was not sure this scenario was possible but I did work under this environment at two, at least, different jobs and want to know if it's possible with BSD.

Our Solaris servers fired up X windows on the server, but I don't think the server actually showed the desktop on its display. It had something running in the background, is what I think was going on. But anyway, we would connect through an X windows server, I believe Xceed was one we used at the first place, and it would find the KDE running on the server and you'd get the KDE on your PC, just like a workstation. It could be minimalized like any other application on your Windows machine, and then popped back open whenever you wanted access to it.

Anyone see this before? Anyone know if BSD can do this? I've been assuming that it can. I mean, can't BSD do anything Solaris does, only better ;)

Skip Evans
Network Project Director
National Center for Science Education
420 40th St, Suite 2
Oakland, CA 94609
510-601-7203
510-601-7204 (fax)
800-290-6006
evans at ncseweb.org
 http://www.ncseweb.org

NCSE now has a one way broadcast news list. Please note that this is NOT a discussion list. You cannot post messages for members to receive. We use this list to broadcast news about the creationism/evolution issue to interested parties.

To sign up send:
subscribe ncse your at email.address
to: majordomo at inia.cls.org