[buug] Are there any commercial Unix users in this group?

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri May 24 10:47:51 PDT 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Aaron T Porter wrote:

> On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 10:29:25AM -0700, Bob Read wrote:
>
> > IRIX--graphics, graphics, graphics
>
> 	That's a huge disservice to SGI/Irix. Keep in mind that SGI makes
> some simply *huge* systems -- some of the fastest number crunchers out there.
> One application I built on Irix had to have 256 serial ports (talk about a
> nightmare).

typically those were actually Cray systems (the Big Iron), and very high
end SGIs (Origin 2000, Onyx 2, etc). Those SGIs are using Cray developed
technologies to improve the ability of handling the large amount of CPUs
(nodes) in their high end machines.

the SGI systems tend to be used for rendering in heavy duty visualisation
labs (take the numbers crunched by yee olde 1280 node cray T3E, pump them
through the 256 node Origin 2000. which makes pretty pictures..) and in
some animation studios (pixar, for example).

check out http://www.cray.com/company/video/index.html for a video on
Cray's latest baby.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche