[buug] Are there any commercial Unix users in this group?

Aaron T Porter atporter at primate.net
Fri May 24 10:50:03 PDT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 10:47:18AM -0700, Bob Read wrote:
> No offence intended, Aaron...I made some hasty
> generalizations that I hoped would provoke some
> interesting dialogue.  I'm glad you replied!  Any OS
> that supports 256 serial interfaces deserves some
> respect!

	None taken, just trying to point out that SGI has many more uses
(at least as long as they stay afloat).

> But the graphic capabilities of SGI certainly do blow
> the competitors out of the water...as I believe all
> the animation studios use it, as did all the designers
> at my last company, Nintendo...in fact, the game cube
> motherboard/cpu was designed by SGI.

	This really doesn't seem to be true anymore. Lots of smaller shops
have been moving to Windows. A few google searches will turn up stories
about Pixar moving to OS/X and plenty of people moving to Linux as well.
SGI is just too damn expensive.