[buug] Are there any commercial Unix users in this group?

Nick Buchanan nbuchanan at onebox.com
Fri May 24 15:19:00 PDT 2002

Each flavor has a place, I would agree that an HA system running Oracle
or SAP/R3 should be on a commercial system. Edge systems however are
a different animal. This is where Linux and BSD flavors shine. I would
run webservers and routers on these. Does it make sense to run Apache
on a $15,000 420R when a PC running Linux or BSD will out perform it?

AIX - Snake Oil - Ever had a hardware failure on a RS/6000? Not fun.
Smit? For god sake . . . Does this OS even have true CLI ?

HP-UX - Awesone hardware, the OS is horrid.

Solaris - Veritile and robust - As for the harware, HORIBLE reliabillity,
great service from SUN, though $$$.

Sequent - Bad, just bad. I hate supporting Seq stuff, although the support
is top notch, I love that they will fix just about anything remotely.

DEC/Compaq - Man pages for dummies ! Good luck geeting decent support
from Compaq.

Pryamid - Who the hell owns this platform now?

--
Nick Buchanan
nbuchanan at onebox.com - email