[buug] Are there any commercial Unix users in this group?

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri May 24 15:39:47 PDT 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002, Nick Buchanan wrote:

> Each flavor has a place, I would agree that an HA system running Oracle
> or SAP/R3 should be on a commercial system. Edge systems however are
> a different animal. This is where Linux and BSD flavors shine. I would
> run webservers and routers on these. Does it make sense to run Apache
> on a $15,000 420R when a PC running Linux or BSD will out perform it?

more so, a Netra T1 will. assuming, of course, you're an all solaris
house.

> Solaris - Veritile and robust - As for the harware, HORIBLE reliabillity,
> great service from SUN, though $$$.

i actually dissagree about the hardware not being up to par. i've found
sun hardware to be very reliable, and very stable, not to mention easy to
upgrade and abuse.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche