[buug] /usr on solaris X86

Aaron T Porter atporter at primate.net
Thu Nov 7 14:48:15 PST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 02:14:27PM -0800, f.johan.beisser wrote:

> the problem is that Solaris x86 is "similar" to Solaris sparc, but not
> exactly the same. and i've never encountered it used in any production
> network.

	Ahh, that's because the people that use it are too embarrased to
admit it. At one point E-Pinions was almost entirely Sol x86 based. It is
really aweful stuff though. Support for 3-4 ethernet cards, 2-3 scsi
cards, and very very few video cards last I messed with it (nearly 3 years
now fortunately). I'd have to agree with the other advice here, to learn
solaris, pick up a used Sun box. Thanks to greedy engineers and the
dot-bomb you can get pretty amazing deals on Ultra workstations. Under
$250 quite frequently on Craigslist and Ebay.