[buug] Floppy Mounting

Mark Handley mjh at icir.org
Wed Oct 2 21:12:41 PDT 2002

>Hi,
>

>I have a FreeBSD 4.5 box that I want to use a floppy drive on to load
>some files on to the BOX.
>
>For some reason when I installed the box the CDrom and all other drives
>were created in the /etc/fstab directory.
>
>But the floppy is not there.
>
>I have done it in Linux to create this, but FreeBSD is different.
>
>Do you know what the steps are to create the /dev/fd0  /floppy   and so
>on in the fstab?
>
>Or can you point me to a how-to. The three references I have here on the
>shelf assume that the files were already created with the installation
>so they just describe how to mount them.
>
>Or should I look at a hardware issue with the floppy?

Look in /var/run/dmesg.boot
You should see something like:

fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0

If this isn't there, then the OS isn't probing the floppy drive.  If
it is, then you should be able to mount it using the mount command.

Make a directory to use as a mount point:
  mkdir /floppy

If it's a DOS floppy:
  mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy

If it's a UFS (Unix) floppy:
  mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

When you're happy it works, don't forget to cd out of /floppy and do
"umount /floppy" before ejecting the floppy.

If you have any problem with the device, you might try:
 cd /dev
 ./MAKEDEV fd0
But this shouldn't be necessary.

Assuming you can manually mount the floppy successfully, then you
might add an fstab entry something like:

# Device    Mountpoint    FStype  Options     Dump    Pass#
/dev/fd0    /floppy       msdos   rw          0       0

"msdos" should be replaced with "ufs" if you're going to be mounting
Unix floppies.  But I usually don't put /floppy in fstab, because I
sometimes mount Unix floppies and sometimes DOS floppies, and so I
just mount them manually, as above.

Hope this helps,

Mark