[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri Oct 18 20:27:35 PDT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Rob Helmer wrote:

> Sorry if I came across as preachy; I'm saying it more to the list in
> general, not presuming that you don't understand the issues involved, or
> that you don't know that XMMS doesn't make a whole lot of use of the
> gnome libs compared to the core gnome applications.

i don't think anyone here is talking about xmms' use of the gnome libs -
if they're present - to bind in to gnome better. that's fine by all
accounts.

the issue is the automagic inclusion of gnome as a dependancy of the port,
when xmms will compile fine without it. if you try to compile the straight
port, you end up with gnome being built.

> I've just heard alot of complaints about dependencies when compiling
> from source ( this isn't the first one specifically about the xmms port
> either ).

i've never really had a problem compiling xmms from source. i've had
problems with the FreeBSD port collection's xmms port wanting to
build/install gnome. a very different situation.

> I'm curious as to who thinks this is bad and why.

i don't think anyone's said it's bad.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche