[buug] Quiet?, Reply-To:, BUUG list archiver, etc.

Michael Paoli michael1cat at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 14:59:04 PST 2003

> From: george at metaart.org (George Woolley)
> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:40:36 -0800
> Subject: [buug] Quiet?

> It's awfully quiet around here.
Uhm, I think that's been "fixed" ... perhaps overly.

I think the RFCs and the behavior of the vast majority of MUAs adequately
cover how Reply-To: should be and generally is dealt with.

It's also interesting to note how the list archiver munges headers.  It
drops lots of headers (which I'd expect, and is probably a *good thing*)
...  but interestingly, if Reply-To: is present, it munges the From:
(and From) headers, substituting the Reply-To: e-mail address in there
instead (for example, compare the headers of this e-mail message, or
ones I sent earlier, to how they appear in the archive:
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2003-November.txt
).  Seems the archiver also takes the view that Reply-To: supersedes
From: - though it implements it in a slightly surprising way.