[buug] Re: The nameserver is ...

Brian Sobolak brian at planetshwoop.com
Mon Feb 7 06:58:26 PST 2005

Michael Paoli said:
> Quoting Brian Sobolak:
>
>> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Rohan Mendonca wrote:
>> > Is the nameserver the same as the router?
>> The nameserver is rarely the same as the router, but it depends on your
>> configuration.
>
> I don't think I'd (quite) say rarely.  In larger infrastructures, it tends
> to be more common for router(s) and nameserver(s) to be distinct, but for
> smaller infrastuctures - which may often be quite numerous - it is not all
> that uncommon for nameserver and router to be one-in-the-same.  On my home
> RFC1918 ("private") network, the router and nameserver IP and system are
> one-in-the-same.  For many all-in-one solution type devices (NAT + DHCP
> server + hub/switch + DSL/cable Ethernet bridge ("modem")) I'd think it
> relatively common that they're one-in-the same (at least by IP address on
> the RFC1918 side of things).  Of course this does and will vary by
> configurations and specific devices (e.g. it's probably more common for
> the nameserver IP to match the router IP in cases where the system/device
> acts as a caching-mostly/only nameserver, or where the device/system uses
> NAT
> to handle DNS traffic).

You're probably right, and I'm quite sure you know a lot more about
standard network configs and DNS than I do.

However, I just wanted to illustrate that they logically aren't the same
thing.  While they might run on the same machine/appliance, a router and a
nameserver perform very distinctly different things.

brian

--
Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/