[buug] BUUG list & archive moved ... redirects? :-)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue May 1 01:44:45 PDT 2012

Lovely, thanks all!

And ... perhaps to be just a wee bit more lovely :-), if it can be
managed:

Re: www.weak.org site ...
to help both humans and search engines to find moved content, I might
suggest, at least approximately (and may not be the full set, and these
may not be fully tested):
RewriteEngine On
#admin interface, list info, member options
RewriteRule ^/mailman/(admin/buug|listinfo/buug|options/buug)(|/.*)$
http://buug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/$1$2 [L,R=permanent]
# List archives, directory portion of messages is *not* preserved!
# (message numbers changed), e.g.:
# http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2011-May/003853.html became
# http://buug.org/pipermail/buug/2011-May/003826.html so we can't simply
# and usefully preserve the path portion
RewriteRule ^/pipermail/buug/.*$ http://buug.org/pipermail/buug/
[L,R=permanent]

Re: buug.org site ...
http & www.buug.org "vs." buug.org
I notice www.buug.org is CNAME to buug.org,
so, perhaps to reduce confusion/ambiguity and improve Search Engine
Optimization (SEO) (search results, etc.), perhaps "we" could HTTP 301
redirect the accesses using www.buug.org to corresponding URLs using
Host: buug.org, e.g.:
RewriteEngine On
# if we have host header and it's not in an expected canonical form,
# rewrite it to canonical http://buug.org/ form
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} "!^buug\.org$" [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} "!^$"
RewriteRule (.*) http://buug.org/$1 [L,R=permanent]

Thanks.  :-)

references/excerpts: